The Body donation
- to programs of anatomical and scientific, medical and surgical research,
- to the anatomical and surgical teaching of future physicians and surgeons,
- to simulation training programs for hospital teams.
The bodies are essential for surgeons wishing to perfect themselves.
What to do to become a donor ?
The download file includes the following documents :
- A general information leaflet.
- A model of a will to be copied by hand in two copies by the donor.
- A medical certificate to be filled by the family doctor (serological analyses must be provided : for legal reasons of safety with respect to students, laboratory staff, we must check that the donor does not present contagious diseases).
- A fact sheet to complete and sign.
What should I do if I change my adress ?
What should I do in the event of a waiver ?
The death occurs in the Region Poitou- Charentes :
The Ambulances MÉLUSINE Tel. : 05 49 43 31 86
even on weekends and holidays. (Or the Body Donation Center)
Mandatory documents to be provided to the Body Donation Center of Poitiers.
- The original card of donor of the Body Donation Center of Poitiers.
- A certificate of death* and a note he /she's not contagious (issued by the doctor who notices the death).
- An authorization for transport for the others cities than Poitiers (issued by the ambulance driver).
- when the death occurs at hospital, clinic or retirement home, the doctor of the depatment establises it or the institution deals with the procedure.
- At home, the entourage of the deceased must call a doctor (generalist, specialist, ...).
When the death occurs at home, it must be declarared within 24 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays) at he town hall of the place of death.
To report the death, the person making the declaration must submit the following documents :
- a document providing his/her identity
- the death certificate
- any other document concerning the deceased : family record, identity card, birth or marriage certificate, passport etc.
Following the declaration of death, the mayor establishes a death certificate. The declarant must inform the town hall that it is a body donation to the Body Donation Center of Poitiers, with immediate transport without brewing.
The death occurs outside the region Poitou - Charentes :
Contact the Body Donation Center closest to the donor's place of death to find out if it is in the capacity to accept the donation from the body (list on the card).
Send a copy of the death certificate to the Body Donation Center of Poitiers.
Questions / Answers :
- Who can donate his/her body ?
Every adult can donate his body. Donations from minors or adult under guardianship are prohibited.
The choice to give one's body is a personal approach that is not irreversible. The donor may change his mind at any time by returning his card to the Faculty of Medicine.
The bodies are incinerated at the Crematorium of the District of Poitiers. Executors, or parents, are not informed of the date of the incineration.
The ashes are not returned, they are deposited in a Donor's concession located at the Pierre Levée cemetery, so that families who desire to, staff and students of Medicine can mourn there.
- Which are the case when donation is not possible ?
- The application form is not complete or the donor card is missing
- Failure to comply with the time limit of 24 or 48 hours, as the case may be, to transport the body.
- For medico-legal reasons (death resulting from a road accident, suicide, death resulting from a weapon, drowning, ...)
- A death due to a contagious disease, or occured overseas, obliging to put the body in a coffin.
- Either for exceptional technical difficulties of the Center (lack of spaces, employes, etc...).
- Is there any religious obstacles ?
The following religions authorize the donation :Buddhism, Catholicism, Protestantism and Hinduism (for the body is cremated afterwards).
The following religions prohibit it : Islam, Judaism, African tradition.
The Orthodox religion stays under reserve.
In cas of doubt, you should refer to your spiritual guide.
Beware : Body donation is not an organ or bone marrow donation
In the case of an organ donation, the patient's death is noticed but his organs are kept artifically in a state of function until they are removed by surgery. www.dondorganes.fr or France ADOT 86
The bone marrow removal is performed on a voluntary living donor compatible with the patient who needs the graft. www.dondemoelleosseuse.fr
In the papers
D1 - CDC
6, rue de la milétrie
TSA 51 115
86 073 POITIERS CEDEX 9
Tel : 05 49 45 43 51
Fax : 05 49 45 45 78
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Pierre Levée Cemetery
From 1st April to 30 September
From 8h00 to 19h00
From 1st October to 31 mars
From 8h00 to 17h30